Friday, May 29, 2009

Why blogging...

I never saw myself as a potential blogger. Even when the whole world seemed to "Xanga," I was somehow afraid of blogging and the potential repercussions of sharing too much about myself. Journaling always seemed the more appropriate alternative to express my thoughts. But, frankly, I failed rather heavily at any and all attempts at journaling over the years. I'm much better at just saying what I'm thinking to whomever is willing to listen.

So, why have I decided to start blogging now? The biggest reason is that I'm scared. I just graduated from Brown (the best University and education in the WORLD) and have returned to my hometown, Hartsdale, NY, where I will be assistant teaching at an all-girls' prep school for two years. I am scared that all of the morals and understandings about the world I developed at Brown will disappear during my time at home - that somehow, going back to NY also means going back to the ignorant, complacent, old me. Though, I don't know that I was ever really complacent, the thought that I might one day be absolutely horrifies me. I'm so afraid of becoming comfortable with corporate American life, understanding to upper class complaints, and blind to the real problems that exist in our society...in our world

After a panic attack in Puerto Rico with my little sister, we both decided that blogging would be an excellent means whereby I could maintain accountability. Not only can friends and family comment on my thoughts and feelings, I will also be granted the opportunity to read through my old posts and remember how I feel right in this moment. I will be reminded of my anger with society, my idealistic hope for change, and my desire to make a difference. Perhaps this way, the widely-spreading complacency bug will not reach me.

So, I ask all of you readers to please keep me accountable. And I promise to at least try to keep up with this blog and entertain you all with my classroom stories, random thoughts, and tales of my beautiful dog Jinjoo :)

peace and love always
Soyoung

5 comments:

  1. You- complacent? Never. Especially in NY. I'll miss our living room conversations so this will have to suffice :(

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. We look forward to reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so so.

    Come visit us in providence this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome that you're recording your thoughts down into a blog. I actually made a LiveJournal account two years ago and haven't kept up with it at all. Hopefully you'll be more successful at it than I was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seconding Fresh. You're the least complacent person I know. No worries, Miss Park!

    ReplyDelete